Pet portrait painting in progress - that's a lot of p's!

Hi everyone! I've been hard at work on a few commissions this week which is great fun!

I've had the house to myself as Sam has been away on a stag weekend, so it's been good to have plenty of time for painting.

This pet portrait is the main piece I've been working on. It's still not finished, in fact there's quite a way to go.


I've got to paint all the little hairs on the ear, add detail to the nose, finish the collar and tags and refine the shading.

I've been taking photos at each stage and am hoping to make them into a video when I'm finished. Until then, here are a few to show how it's progressed.


The last image in that series shows the dog looking very dark. To lighten it up I've painted tiny white hairs over the whole thing which I will then cover with a tan coloured wash to bring it all together.


I'm working in acrylic paint because it dries nice and quickly, allowing layers to be built up with no drying time in between. I've never tried oils but would love to have a go!

Here's where I've been working at the dining room table. It now has a few nice acrylic splodges...shh!


This week I've also been working on a paper cut kirigami cityscape. I'm still only at the cutting stage, the windows are taking ages! Eventually, when all the details have been cut, I'll fold it and it'll magically turn into a 3D city. Well, here's hoping. The last kirigami I did went wrong, so fingers crossed I've got the measurements right on this one.


Next Sunday, I'll hopefully have a finished pet portrait to show you!

If you've enjoyed this post, please pop by my Facebook page. I update it regularly during the week and I'd love to welcome some new faces!

I'm sharing this post on the following blogs: Paint Party Friday, Handmade Harbour, Be Different Act Normal, Manon Popje's Illustrations and Tatertots and Jello.

Labels: , , , ,

Clare Willcocks: Pet portrait painting in progress - that's a lot of p's!

Sunday 6 July 2014

Pet portrait painting in progress - that's a lot of p's!

Hi everyone! I've been hard at work on a few commissions this week which is great fun!

I've had the house to myself as Sam has been away on a stag weekend, so it's been good to have plenty of time for painting.

This pet portrait is the main piece I've been working on. It's still not finished, in fact there's quite a way to go.


I've got to paint all the little hairs on the ear, add detail to the nose, finish the collar and tags and refine the shading.

I've been taking photos at each stage and am hoping to make them into a video when I'm finished. Until then, here are a few to show how it's progressed.


The last image in that series shows the dog looking very dark. To lighten it up I've painted tiny white hairs over the whole thing which I will then cover with a tan coloured wash to bring it all together.


I'm working in acrylic paint because it dries nice and quickly, allowing layers to be built up with no drying time in between. I've never tried oils but would love to have a go!

Here's where I've been working at the dining room table. It now has a few nice acrylic splodges...shh!


This week I've also been working on a paper cut kirigami cityscape. I'm still only at the cutting stage, the windows are taking ages! Eventually, when all the details have been cut, I'll fold it and it'll magically turn into a 3D city. Well, here's hoping. The last kirigami I did went wrong, so fingers crossed I've got the measurements right on this one.


Next Sunday, I'll hopefully have a finished pet portrait to show you!

If you've enjoyed this post, please pop by my Facebook page. I update it regularly during the week and I'd love to welcome some new faces!

I'm sharing this post on the following blogs: Paint Party Friday, Handmade Harbour, Be Different Act Normal, Manon Popje's Illustrations and Tatertots and Jello.

Labels: , , , ,

34 Comments:

At 6 July 2014 at 11:03 , Blogger Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

Wow! I love the intricacy of your work, both in paint and paper. Blessings!

 
At 6 July 2014 at 12:29 , Blogger Faye said...

Your dog portrait looks finished to me, but I can see where adding the tiny hairs really does put more realism into it. Beautiful pup! And the kirigami fascinates me. I am eager to see what it turns out to look like.

 
At 6 July 2014 at 14:26 , Blogger Free Spirit Designs said...

Goodness you are so gifted at detailed work! I love the doggie and its great to see all the stages. The paper cutting looks mind boggling, good luck! x

 
At 6 July 2014 at 22:07 , Blogger Lilly's Mom said...

Claire, the pet portrait is amazing with all the fine detail. It's beautiful. I'm excited to see how your kirigami looks when you have it finished. Have a wonderful week :)

 
At 6 July 2014 at 22:29 , Blogger ike said...

Great portrait :-D Your style is very much like mine with all the tiny hair strokes :-D
I am so looking forward to seeing this new paper cut :-D
Hope you are both well.

Hugz
IKE xxxxxxxx

My Challenge Blog
My Shop
My Blog

 
At 7 July 2014 at 01:54 , Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Claire
I love your portrait, you have so much patience, if you have any spare please send it to me LOL!!
Seriously I simply love it, and looking forward to seeing the finished job
Sue x

 
At 7 July 2014 at 03:13 , Blogger Jan said...

I love seeing works in progress, it's surprising how much it changes as you go along, I'm popping over to your facebook page right now :)

Jan x

 
At 7 July 2014 at 06:09 , Blogger Chris said...

Love your work the dog looks fab.I wish I could paint

 
At 7 July 2014 at 09:54 , Anonymous irene said...

hello clare, i enjoyed seeing the process of your lovely and detailed work. i look forward to seeing the completed painting, though, it looks mighty beautiful as is.

 
At 7 July 2014 at 12:10 , Blogger Lucy Blossom said...

More beautiful work, I am still in awe of your cutting skills, those windows are so teeny tiny!

 
At 7 July 2014 at 12:32 , Blogger the cape on the corner said...

oh my gosh, amazing! the work you must put into it. amazing.
b

 
At 7 July 2014 at 14:26 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Arnoldo!

 
At 7 July 2014 at 14:26 , Blogger Unknown said...

It's almost there, Faye! The hard work is done now, just the finishing touches to add :)

 
At 7 July 2014 at 14:33 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you! It's certainly taking a long time, I'll be happy when I have finished all the little hairs. Have a lovely week too :) x

 
At 7 July 2014 at 14:35 , Blogger Unknown said...

We'd be a right pair if we ever met, sitting painting tiny little hairs! We're great thank you, hope you're having a lovely week!

 
At 7 July 2014 at 14:35 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you so much Sue, and for your other lovely comments! I have quite a lot of patience but really not enough time in the day! x

 
At 7 July 2014 at 14:36 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you Jan and welcome to my Facebook page!

 
At 7 July 2014 at 14:38 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Chris! You should give it a go, you might surprise yourself! I think patience is the key, more than skill :)

 
At 7 July 2014 at 14:41 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you Irene! I'm looking forward to it being finished too :)

 
At 7 July 2014 at 23:37 , Blogger MadBirdDesignsUK said...

Loving your work, visited your facebook page too.

 
At 8 July 2014 at 06:55 , Blogger ike said...

Me again !! :-D
Thank you for your comments on my latest creations :-D
Yes - Tea Bag folding is like Origami. Apparently it was invented by a lady who did Origami who was sat - bored to death - in her hotel room and started folding the little paper baggies that your tea bags come in... hence the name. The squares are usually about 2"x 2" but you can make them bigger or smaller :-D
I think her name was Tiny (pronounced Teeny) van der Plas

Hugz
IKE xxxxxxxxxxx

 
At 10 July 2014 at 10:38 , Blogger manomij said...

Wooooooow this is so amazing and I am so pleased you shared it with us at Paper Saturdays! Love love it :)))))
manonXx

 
At 11 July 2014 at 01:39 , Blogger AM Zafaran said...

Wow! Painting with so many details...I tried painting a dog for my friend and it was pretty intimidating! I love what I see here....so much of care and details! I did not know about 'kirigami'..will check it out now. Your paper city looks all ready to spring up! I can imagine little lights going up in those windows! I'm happy I visited you, from PPF our perpetual source of joy and inspiration. :-)

 
At 11 July 2014 at 02:01 , Blogger Laura said...

Wow. You are fabulously talented. Great doggy paining with so much detail in. Congrats on being featured over at PFF.

 
At 11 July 2014 at 05:30 , Blogger Christine said...

you are amazing! That WIP is already looking fantastic!

 
At 11 July 2014 at 07:39 , Blogger DVArtist said...

Your talent is so incredible. You truly do inspire me.
Nicole/Beadwright

 
At 11 July 2014 at 08:41 , Blogger My Creative Me said...

Awesome! Love the detail! God bless your patience... and your talent!!

 
At 11 July 2014 at 11:32 , Blogger GlorV1 said...

Wow, outstanding work, looks awesome.:)

 
At 12 July 2014 at 02:06 , Blogger Gillena Cox said...

Painstaking patience in painting that puppy, Smiles
Have a nice weekend

Much love...

 
At 12 July 2014 at 03:45 , Blogger Teresa Arsenault said...

This is amazing. You have really captured the emotion in the eyes. Congrats on being featured at Paint Party Friday.

 
At 12 July 2014 at 06:01 , Blogger Unknown said...

The details in your painting are amazing, so lifelike. Can't wait to see the finish product.

 
At 16 July 2014 at 01:38 , Blogger Unknown said...

Gorgeous portrait! Beautiful and unique work!

http://agagasiniak.blogspot.co.uk/

 
At 17 July 2014 at 23:39 , Blogger Heather Foust said...

I missed this post last week because I was on vacation. These are both 2 detailed pieces. So lovely in there own way!

 
At 20 July 2014 at 12:30 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Heather! It's so lovely to hear from people who follow my blog :D

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home